John Anton was born around 1597, parentage unknown.
He married Mary Wydoot in 1618 at St Gregorys parish church in Norwich, Norfolk, England.
Mary was born around 1597, the daughter of Baldwin Wydoot and Joanne. Baldwin Wydoot died in 1618 leaving an Archdeaconary of Norwich will held in the Norfolk Probate Records on Familysearch.
In his will Baldwin leaves bequests to his wife Joanne and son Malyard (Maylard). Mary’s siblings include Winifred, Jane, Joane and brother Maylard Wydoot.
Mary’s brother Maylard Wydoot is mentioned in several records including in the Company of the Dutch Congregation 1621, Dutch Militia Co, rank Corselet. He was admitted to the freedom of the City of Norwich in 1621.
Maylard Wydoot, husbandman and gardener was ‘borne of parent strangers borne beyond the seas in a List of Foreign Protestants and Alien Residents of England in 1621.
John was listed as a merchant grocer in the 1622 Return of Strangers, Norwich. Strangers was an old term for foreigner or alien to the country suggesting John was born overseas, probably in Holland.
John and Mary had five known children –
- Abigaile b 1620 d 1698 Norwich. Married John Mackerell. 8 children.
- John b 1623 St Andrews, Norwich.
- Abraham b 1627 d 1702 Great Yarmouth. Married Joane Hobes 1648 London.
- Joanne b 1619 d 1702 Great Yarmouth. Married William Emperor. 4 children.
- Peter d 1699 St Gregory, Norwich. Married 1655 Mary Paine. 12 children. Will 1699 to daughters Emma and Mary. Mary was the daughter of Sheriff Joseph Paine of Norwich.
John Anton died in 1651 and was buried in Norwich. His will appears in the Norfolk Record office will register under John Anton, merchant of Norwich.
Mary Anton, nee Wydoot, died in April 1663 and was buried at St Gregory, Norwich on 10 April 1663.