Robert Dennis was born in 1689 near Landmoth Catto, Yorkshire.
Robert was the son of Robert and Anne Dennis of Landmoth Catto.
Landmoth Catto is 1/2 mile from Leake.
Robert had two sisters – Brigit born in 1695 and baptised in Leake on the 8th May, and Ann born in March 1696, baptised 2 April 1697 in Leake.
Robert was a tenant farmer, like his father in Leake and nearby Nether Silton (2 miles away).
When he was 31, he married Isabell Douglas on 23 Apr 1720 in Hawnby, Yorkshire, England (his wife’s home parish). Hawnby is 13kms from Leake.
Robert Dennis and Isabell Douglas had the following six children:
- John Dennis was born in 1720 and died in Nov 1769 in Leake. He married Ann Douglas on 24 Dec 1759 in Leake.
- Isabell Dennis was born in 1720. She married Matthew Weighell on 16 Nov 1747 in Leake and died on 10 Feb 1780 in Kirkby Sigston.
- Robert Dennis was born in 1726 in Leake, Yorkshire, England. He died about 1790 in He married Ann Cuthbert on 09 Apr 1751 in Leake Parish, Yorkshire, England.
- William Dennis was born in 1728 in Yorkshire, England. He died on 14 Jan 1752 in Leake. William is buried with his father Robert.
- Anne Dennis was born in 1732 in Nether Silton, Yorkshire, England. She died on 18 Jun 1816 in Leake, Yorkshire, England.
- Thomas Dennis was born in 1735 in Nether Silton, Yorkshire, England. He died on 01 Jan 1783 in Leake.
Robert died on 30 Jan 1752 in Nether Silton, Yorkshire, England and is buried on 1 Feb 1752 in the St Marys Churchyard, Leake. Amazingly his headstone survives.
His headstone reads – “Here lies the body of Robert Dennis who departed this life Feb 17th 1752 aged 63.
Also William his son d Jan 12th 1752 aged 24.
Robert Dennis signed his will on 30 Jan 1752, the same day he died “being weak of body, but of perfect mind and memory”. He bequeathed his estate to his son Robert 20 shillings , his son in law Mathew Weighell 20 shillings, his son Thomas and daughter Ann 10 pounds when he reaches 21, and wife Isabell and son John to be executors.