Robert Dennis was born in 1726 in Leake, Yorkshire, England as the third child of Robert Dennis and Isabell Douglas.
Robert was baptised in Jul 1726 in Leake, Yorkshire, England.
He had five siblings – John, Isabell, William, Anne and Thomas.
Robert, was a farmer at Oxbank, Landmoth Catto, near Leake, and on his father’s death in 1752 he received 20 shillings from his will.
His farm was called “Oxbank Farm”, Nether Silton.
When he was 25, he married Ann Cuthbert on 09 Apr 1751 at St Mary’s church, Leake.
Ann was baptised at Leake in 1734, the daughter of Thomas Cuthbert and Mary Langdalle. Thomas and Mary had married at Leake on 24 Feb 1727. Ann had two brothers – Thomas also baptised and died in Leake in 1737-1738 and another brother Thomas baptised 1740 in Leake.
On many of the old parish records sometimes the surname Dennis is spelt Denniss/Dinnis/Denis.
Robert Dennis and Ann Cuthbert had the following ten children:
- Mary Dennis was born in 1752 in Leake, Yorkshire. She married John Pickering of North Otterington in 1777 in St Mary, Leake.
- Robert Dennis was born in 1754 in Silton, Yorkshire. He died in 1835 in Osmotherley, Yorkshire. He married Mary Swales on 25 Nov 1773 in Osmotherley.
- William Dennis was born in 1757 in High Silton. Yorkshire. He died in 1766 at Oxbank Farm, Nether Silton, Yorkshire.
- Anne Dennis was born in 1759 in Leake. She married Mathew Dodworth on 14 Nov 1779 in St Mary, Leake.
- John Dennis was born in 1762 in Leake, Yorkshire, England. He died in 1769 in Nether Silton.
- Elizabeth Dennis was born in 1764 in Silton, Yorkshire. She died in 1766 in Oxbank Farm, Nether Silton.William Dennis was born in 1766 in Oxbank Nether Silton. Yorkshire. He died in 1795 in Leake.
- Thomas Dennis was born on 26 Mar 1769 in Nether Silton, Yorkshire. He died on 17 Sep 1842 in Nether Silton, Yorkshire. He married Ann Clark on 09 Apr 1793 in Leake. He also married Dorothy Adamson on 30 Mar 1815 in Leake.
- Betty Dennis was born in 1772 in Leake, Yorkshire.
- George Dennis was born in 1774 in Nether Silton, Yorkshire.
Robert was a tenant farmer at Oxbank Farm, Landmoth-cum-Catto near Leake, Yorkshire
Robert died about 1790 in Silton, Yorkshire, England. His burial has not been found, but he was probably buried in Leake.