Samuel Jackson (junior) was born in 1748 at Knotts in the Gisburn Forest, Yorkshire,
England to parents Samuel Jackson (1716-1774) and Margaret Wolfenden (1715-1776).
He was baptised at St Mary the Virgin, Gisburn on 26 February 1748.
He was one of eight children born to his parents Samuel (senior) and Margaret.
. Samuel, like his parents was a small tenant farmer (husbandman)at Knotts in the Gisburn Forest area.
At the age of 19, Samuel married Miss Hannah Geldard at St Marys, Gisburn on 3 November 1774.
Hannah was born in 1748 in Gisburn Forest to parents Nicholas Geldard (1715-1793) and Margaret Holgate (1715-1751).
Her father Nicholas had married twice, firstly to Margaret Holgate in 1738 in Long Preston, and had five children, and then after Margaret died in 1751 he secondly married Ann Hargraves in 1754 in Gisburn, and had a further eight children.
Nicholas Geldard was the son of Thomas Geldard (1665-1761) and Anne Ellis (1692-1764).
Before Samuel and Hannah could be married, the banns were read out on the preceding three Sundays. Samuel’s oldest brother Richard, and James Woffenden, the witnesses.
I haven’t been able to find a baptism for Hannah, but there are lots of Geldards being baptised at Gisburn in this period.
Samuel was a farmer at Low Gill, near Gisburn according to his children’s baptism registers. Low Gill, sometimes called Lower Gill was just 3 miles from his birth place in the Forest.
Samuel and Hannah had eight children and lived at Lower Gill. The first four children were all baptised at nearby Bolton by Bowland, and then Thomas, Robert, Anna and Richard who was baptised at St Bartholomew with St James at Tosside.
- Ann b 1776 Low Gill, d 1851 Burnley. Marr James Lowcock 1799 Gisburn. 5 children.
- Samuel b 1778 Low Gill, d 1821 Long Preston. Marr Margaret Wolfenden. 5 children.
Samuel and Margaret are second cousins (Sam’s grandmother is Margaret Wolfenden 1715-1776, whose brother James Wolfenden 1713-1764 is the grandfather of Margaret his wife)
- Nicholas b 1780 Gisburn Forest, d 1780 Low Gill.
- Mary b 1782 Low Gill. Marr Thomas Walker in 1807 at Bolton by Bowland
- Thomas b 1784 Sawley, d 1801 Newby Hall.
- Robert b 1789 Sawley, d 1827 Shepton Moor. Marr Ellen Shaw.
- Anna b 1793 Low Gill, d 1873 Accrington . Marr Christopher Holgate. 3 children.
- Richard b 1797 Low Gill, d 1830 Slaidburn. Marr Grace Dewhurst. 8 children.
Samuel and Hannah lived at Lower Gill and Sawley in the Gisburn Forest area of Yorkshire for many years farming the land and Samuel can be found paying land tax there –
- 1781 Gisburn Forest, tenant Samuel Jackson, owner Michael Geldard
- 1785 Gisburn, tenant Samuel Jackson
- 1794 Gisburn, tenant Samuel Jackson, owner Nicholas Geldard
- 1798 Gisburn Forest, tenant Samuel Jackson, owner Robert Jackson
- 1800 Gisburn, tenant Samuel Jackson, owner Isabell Swinglehurst
- 1801 Gisburn Forest, tenant Samuel Jackson, owner Robert Jackson
The Geldard land owner above (Nicholas) was Hannah’s father. There are lots of information on the Geldard families of Gisburn here.
Also living in the same area and paying land tax in 1798 was Mr Henry Wolfendale, Samuel’s maternal grandfather.
Samuel’s wife Hannah died at Grindleton on 4 June 1809 and was buried at Bolton by Bowland on 6 June 1809 aged 61.
Samuel died on 24 April 1835 in Slaidburn, possibly at the residence of his son Richard who was living there at the time. He was buried on 26 April 1835 at Bolton by Bowland aged 87 years.