Robert Elrington was born around 1701 most likely near Healey in the parish of Bywell, Northumberland, England to father William and Dorothy Elrington. Roberts baptism has been unable to be found.
Robert Elrington married Mary Surtis at St Peters, Bywell on 4 December 1732.
Mary was born in 1711 at nearby High Fotherley, the daughter of Richard Surtis and Margaret Elliott. She was baptised on 2 September 1711.
Robert and Mary had seven children, all of whom were baptised at St Peters, Bywell.
- Silas b 1733 Minsteracres d 1806 Bywell. Marr Mary Surtees and Ann Usher. 6 kids.
- Joseph b 1736 High Fotherley d 1736 Farther Lee, Bywell
- William b 1738 High Fotherley d 1800 Beamish. Marr Isabel Lowes. 7 children.
- George b 1740 & d 1740 High Fotherley
- George b 1749 High Fotherley d 1765 Unthank aged 16
- Elizabeth b 1752 Cronkley Wood d Bywell aged 5
- Robert b 1755 Newfield.
Sadly the couple lost at least four children during their childhood.
High Fotherley is a farmstead/hamlet located 6 miles south east of Hexham. It basically consisted of little more than two farms – High Fotherley and Low Fotherley.
By 1848 it had grown into a small township with 106 inhabitants.
Robert was most likely an agricultural labourer working around the farms and stables in the area, perhaps sometimes working in the coalmines as a pitman.
Robert died at High Fotherley and was buried on 7 October 1778 at St Peters in Bywell.
His wife Mary died in April 1766 at High Fotherley, and was buried at St Peters Bywell on 9 April 1766.